Science Museum Oklahoma Offers New Season of Badge Classes, Overnights for Scouts
Oklahoma City metro area Girl Scouts, Boy Scouts and Cub Scouts have new options for earning science-related badges this spring at Science Museum Oklahoma with the museum’s Saturday Scout badge classes and scouting-focused Science Overnights.
“Saturday Scouts, Science Overnights and private badge classes at SMO are great experiences for scouts of all ages who want to explore science,” said Becca Bornstein, museum educator at SMO.
“This spring we’re excited to offer brand new badge classes that we haven’t offered in the past as well as many of our classes that traditionally fill up.”
Spring 2017 Saturday Scouts and Science Overnights for Girl Scouts include:
- Juniors Detective Badge and Cadettes Special Agent Badge joint class, 9:30 a.m. to noon, Feb. 4;
- Brownies Home Scientist Badge, 9:30-11:30 a.m., Feb. 18;
- Girl Scout Science Overnight, 7 p.m., April 7, to 7 a.m. April 8;
- Daisies Blue Bucket and Firefly Awards, 10 a.m. to noon, April 15; and
- Daisies Clover Award, 1-3 p.m., April 15.
Spring 2017 Saturday Scouts and Science Overnights for Boy Scouts and Cub Scouts include:
- Cub Scout Science Overnight, 7 p.m. Feb. 24, to 7 a.m. Feb. 25;
- Boy Scout Geology Badge Class, 9:30-11:30 a.m., March 4;
- Boy Scout Weather Badge Class, 2-4 p.m., March 4;
- Bear Cub Super Science Class, 9:30-11:30 a.m., March 25; and
- Webelos Cubs Adventures in Science Class, 2-4 p.m., March 25.
In addition to working toward a new badge, scouts who attend a Science Overnight get access to all of the museum’s regular exhibits, a planetarium and Science Live show, and a light breakfast on Saturday morning.
Badge classes are $15 per scout for one class or $25 if registered for two classes on the same day, while Science Overnights are $45 per participant and $25 per chaperone. A parent or chaperone is required to be at the museum for the duration of each badge class or Scout Overnight. Registration for each program closes when full or three days before the event.
For groups or troops of five or more that would like to attend a badge class together, private classes are available when scheduled in advance.
For more information about Saturday Scouts, Science Overnights, private badge classes at SMO or to register for a program, call 405-602-3760 or visit www.sciencemuseumok.org/scouts.